Australian Golf Heritage Society Forum

Welcome to the second incarnation of the Australian Golf Heritage Society forum. All members of the Society are invited to actively participate in the Forum, and to share their experience, knowledge, ideas and wisdom.

As a Guest you are able to read posts, but to contribute you need to register. This is a simple matter of clicking on the 'Register' link, and following your nose. Help is always available if you need it. Please note that this is a forum for the sharing of opinions, ideas and knowledge, and we would ask that you respect everyone's opinions, ideas, and knowledge.

If you disagree with something said, by all means air that disagreement respectfully. If you feel the need to become insulting or abusive, you will quickly feel the need to find another forum. I can do that.

Welcome again - and enjoy.

You are not logged in.

#1 26-10-2015 19:32:28

Auchterlonie
Putter

Auchterlonie Brassie unusual shaft/head joint

Putting it out there again
Has anybody seen or does anybody know anything about this join in a Auchterlonie Brassie (circa 1900) I discovered when the whipping deteriorated. Its not a classic socket join but has a "triangular" notch that fits into the neck of the club head. The shaft splays out as it meets the head unlike a normal socket join where the neck of the head is tapered to meet the round shaft. Obviously don't know what happens within the neck of the clubhead and how far the shaft goes into the head. Where the shaft meets the head the join is a neat butt joint apart from the notch which is clearly part of the shaft (obviously the shaft would extend beyond this and into the neck of the club but the extent of this is unknown).

My theory (for what's it worth remembering this is only my opinion)
The Auchterlonie's were famous for their handmade clubs. As the larger companies started to invade UK clubmaking bringing with them the production line machinery and the "socket joint" that enabled them to churn out huge numbers of clubs. The Auchterlonie's, reluctant to move away from the inherent stability and resistance to twisting that a scare join provides, may have looked at variations of a socket style join. In the "Auchterlonie join" the shaft flares as it joins the head offering greater strength at the weakest point with the notch into the neck of the head to provide resistance to the shaft twisting. I am assuming the shaft section into the neck of the club head (unseen) is round and they may have been sceptical that glue alone would have been able to provide the necessary strength to prevent a round shaft from twisting in a round hole, remembering that up until the socket join the two flat surfaces of a scare join were the norm in club making.

Any ideas??

auch_1.jpg

auch_2.jpg

Board footer