Australian Golf Heritage Society Forum

Welcome to the second incarnation of the Australian Golf Heritage Society forum. All members of the Society are invited to actively participate in the Forum, and to share their experience, knowledge, ideas and wisdom.

As a Guest you are able to read posts, but to contribute you need to register. This is a simple matter of clicking on the 'Register' link, and following your nose. Help is always available if you need it. Please note that this is a forum for the sharing of opinions, ideas and knowledge, and we would ask that you respect everyone's opinions, ideas, and knowledge.

If you disagree with something said, by all means air that disagreement respectfully. If you feel the need to become insulting or abusive, you will quickly feel the need to find another forum. I can do that.

Welcome again - and enjoy.

You are not logged in.

#1 14-06-2016 19:25:00

Pipdog
Putter

Make Your Own Scare Splice Club

Just a thought.  When we have another billion bucketfuls from the heavens, it might be good to have a project ready in the shed, to build a scare jointed old timer.  Does anyone have a pattern, or suggestions? (Apart from I must be off my rocker?)

Have a few clubs, mostly junk, but all playable.

#2 14-06-2016 22:02:21

SFBUM
Putter
Website

Re: Make Your Own Scare Splice Club

Do you have a copy of Bob Kuntz's book? Pages 21-26 describe a build/rebuild process for splice/scare heads.

Gone golfing - be back at dark thirty.

#3 15-06-2016 11:22:44

Pipdog
Putter

Thanks for the info.  I don't have a copy of Kuntz's book.
Cheers

#4 15-06-2016 19:46:04

Auchterlonie
Putter

Hey Rob
Been one of my projects on the back burner for a while now.
Check out this guys blog, he is a very good woodworker and has done a really good job and has included excerpts from J H Taylors book "The book of golf and Golfers".

http://bringbackthehandtools.blogspot.c … joint.html

There used to be a good description on one of the hickory websites from the US but they took it down a while back, not sure why. I had the site saved and when I went back for a look it had been removed.

Australia has a lot of hard timber but I think the grain pattern is prone to splitting. You can get European beech over here which would be OK with the soft modern balls, I think. Try searching "janka wood hardness" and you will get an idea of what may be suitable. A lot of the fruit trees are good for this exercise. Im pretty sure Ross baker uses fruit trees for his clubs.

This guy has made a lot of long nose clubs as well that look really good, and he has a great workshop page.

http://www.klhickory.com/2016-hickory-collection.html

Cheers
Ross

#5 16-06-2016 14:22:58

Pipdog
Putter

Fantastic Ross!  I will gradually work my way through the stuff, and begin the challenge.
Thanks again.
Rob

#6 16-06-2016 22:10:50

Auchterlonie
Putter

Rob
I look forward to seeing your efforts at Carnarvon in September!
I will try for the same
Cheers
Ross

#7 17-06-2016 09:35:42

SFBUM
Putter
Website

If either of you need something to practice on, I'm sure I have some rough wood heads here somewhere (no Rob, not mine) that you could cut a scare into and hone your shaft attaching skills.

Gone golfing - be back at dark thirty.

#8 17-06-2016 13:36:48

Auchterlonie
Putter

I have attached a few shafts to heads that have splice/scare joins.
Worked really well, hose clamps and tape essential.
Photos of a semi-Longnose head I reshafted a while ago and we used at a RQ hickory event with a replica gutty ball.
The hard ball ended up putting a crack in the head which has been repaired since. The scare join held up beautifully.
At the time I used PVA for the scare
SCARE_JOIN.jpg

SCARE_JOIN_3.jpg

SCARE_JOIN_4.jpg

SCARE_JOIN_7.jpg

#9 17-06-2016 14:50:23

Auchterlonie
Putter

Rob
Another really good book is David Stirk's "Golf: The great clubmakers".
On a similar subject....probably a new topic but...
See photos of my insert repair on a cracked face brassie to look like a Spalding insert. Steve had a few spare red inserts from the museum. Inner white circle is cast resin. Still thinking of a method for grooves.
Another way of repairing woods with damaged faces and one that will last a while I think. Going to experiment with other face patterns
Top photo: My Charles Gibson Brassie
Bottom: Original Spalding 2 wood
IMG_5846.jpg

SPALDING_2_WOOD.png

Board footer