Australian Golf Heritage Society Forum

Welcome to the second incarnation of the Australian Golf Heritage Society forum. All members of the Society are invited to actively participate in the Forum, and to share their experience, knowledge, ideas and wisdom.

As a Guest you are able to read posts, but to contribute you need to register. This is a simple matter of clicking on the 'Register' link, and following your nose. Help is always available if you need it. Please note that this is a forum for the sharing of opinions, ideas and knowledge, and we would ask that you respect everyone's opinions, ideas, and knowledge.

If you disagree with something said, by all means air that disagreement respectfully. If you feel the need to become insulting or abusive, you will quickly feel the need to find another forum. I can do that.

Welcome again - and enjoy.

You are not logged in.

#1 19-03-2016 18:14:39

Pipdog
Putter

Grips

Wonder if anyone has located a supplier for grips close to the original.  While I favour suede (I get half a beast from Leffler and cut it into strips about 22mm wide), I would like to try something closer to original.  I bought some leather ones from "Hickory Golf Grips" in UK, but they are quite thick, and not really like the thin originals.
Also, found a small piece of original pitch (tar), so should be able to use it under the grips.

My current method with suede is to build up the shaft with masking tape to a specific size, then a wrap of double sided carpet tape.  Then a wrap (strip) of woolen suit material (an "underlay"), then another wrap of double sided tape, then the suede grip.
Cheers.

Have a few clubs, mostly junk, but all playable.

#2 22-03-2016 15:19:21

Auchterlonie
Putter

Re: Grips

Rob
Have you tried friction tape under your grips?
Hard to get over here and not cheap (3M about $25/roll). I buy a few rolls of the Chinese made stuff off alibaba ($5 roll) and its quite good. It is used for insulating pipes etc I think but seems to be some kind of pitch or tar impregnated material tape. I buy my leather from the Packer Leather factory just up the highway from me. I usually just rummage through the scraps bin but they do sell very nice leather. Actually I was just there this morning and got a couple of pieces of black leather that was actually made as grip leather. I turn it over and use the rough side for clubs. If you have a game with Steve have a look at the retro-fitted woods they have the black leather grips with friction tape underlay. Let me know if you want some and I will nick up and get a piece and send it down with a roll of friction tape for you to try.
Cheers
Ross

#3 22-03-2016 22:15:58

SFBUM
Putter
Website

For play clubs, I use what they call 'Coloured Chrome Splits' from Birdsall Leather (http://www.birdsall-leather.com.au/) - basically suede leather. I cut strips around 36" long that taper from 1.25" to 1.00", and use them over normal double sided grip tape. At 1.5mm thick (sorry for mixing measurements), I don't find that they need any underlisting. For collectibles, I use grips that I have recycled from re-gripped play clubs.

Birdsall have many different types of leather. Most of their products have a 'Request Info' button, and in my experience don't mind answering questions.

Have you thought about asking an upholsterer?

Gone golfing - be back at dark thirty.

#4 24-03-2016 19:13:29

Pipdog
Putter

Thanks for the offer Ross, but I will do a bit more nosing around re the original grips first.
Questions:
1.  Do we know if the original grips were actually leather, or some other material?
2.  As the years went by, did makers start using some other material that looked like the original?
3.  What treatment did the early players give (or apply to) their grips (if any) to keep them in good nick?

I have used "Oakwood Leather Conditioner" on a few old grips and an old leather bag (not mother-in-law) with a degree of success.  The lady at the saddlery suggested I plaster the Oakwood onto the grip (off the club) and leave it out in the sun so that the leather might absorb the conditioner (this is how she rejuvenates horse saddles).  Off course, this will only work if the leather has not rotted.  Most of the old grips I have removed look quite solid, and I hoped to find some magic liquid I could just soak them in and Voila!......

#5 11-05-2016 15:03:19

Pipdog
Putter

Relating to another of my posts re Swingweights:  when making up another play set of irons, I decided to use some of the old leather grips I have hoarded, rather than my usual grips cut from suede.  Most of the old leather grips have been removed carefully with the least amount of damage.  While wife wasn't looking, I put a batch of them into the washing machine with Napisan on normal cycle, then left them in the shade to dry - this removed all of the loose debris and the grease left from my ancestors' hands.  Once dry, I wound each grip loosely onto an old club shaft/grip, and liberally coated the leather grips with "Oakwood", and left them in the sun for a day.
End result:  grips now in great condition and fitted to extra play set.  Used them today, and no issues.

#6 14-05-2016 01:12:00

SFBUM
Putter
Website

Nice tip.

Did you put them in a bag or something similar?

#7 14-05-2016 18:46:38

Pipdog
Putter

Nope.  Just tossed them in.  I can imagine the outcome of my using one her Bra bags!

#8 15-05-2016 20:41:04

SFBUM
Putter
Website

I want to try this, but I might use a bag.

Our washing machine is a cantankerous beast that - I'm convinced - is haunted. Under instructions from the Managing Director, I washed a queen sized quilt cover the other week, and during the 29 minute wash cycle it was turned completely inside-out. It takes me about 35 to do it manually.

Board footer