Australian Golf Heritage Society Forum

Welcome to the second incarnation of the Australian Golf Heritage Society forum. All members of the Society are invited to actively participate in the Forum, and to share their experience, knowledge, ideas and wisdom.

As a Guest you are able to read posts, but to contribute you need to register. This is a simple matter of clicking on the 'Register' link, and following your nose. Help is always available if you need it. Please note that this is a forum for the sharing of opinions, ideas and knowledge, and we would ask that you respect everyone's opinions, ideas, and knowledge.

If you disagree with something said, by all means air that disagreement respectfully. If you feel the need to become insulting or abusive, you will quickly feel the need to find another forum. I can do that.

Welcome again - and enjoy.

You are not logged in.

#1 03-07-2016 16:01:39

Pipdog
Putter

Did I Pass Up Something?

At the local markets this morning, there were about 8 hickories in a bunch.  2 x left hand included.  They were pretty average looking, and nothing took my fancy, EXCEPT a putter.

It appeared to be smooth-faced, and had a hosel about 1.5 x the usual diameter, and a relatively thick top line on the head.  It looked like it had been forged fairly roughly.  It appeared to have "F. H. Ayres" stamped on the back, but roughly - like someone had used individual letter stamps, rather than a machine or production stamp.  The only other mark was an "L".  I have a couple of "Ayres" and know some of his history.

I have too many clubs now that don't get used, so I passed it up.  Should I rescue it if it is there next time?

Cheers

Have a few clubs, mostly junk, but all playable.

#2 03-07-2016 20:48:50

SFBUM
Putter
Website

Re: Did I Pass Up Something?

According to "Wooden Shafted Golf Club Value Guide" (Georgiady, 7th edition), there is an F. H. Ayres 'Putter-Gun metal blade, thick hosel'. Unfortunately there is no photograph of the device, but he puts a 2009 value of $175 on it.

I found another one on eBay that I was going to post an image of, but the "Add image to post" has disappeared in all browsers now.

I'll send you an email.

Bloody software!

Gone golfing - be back at dark thirty.

#3 06-07-2016 12:01:43

Pipdog
Putter

Re: Did I Pass Up Something?

Thanks.  "Glad" to hear that "add image to post" has disappeared for others.  It has also disappeared using Tenfourfox now..............
I will try to pick up that putter at next markets.
Cheers

Have a few clubs, mostly junk, but all playable.

Board footer