Australian Golf Heritage Society Forum

Welcome to the second incarnation of the Australian Golf Heritage Society forum. All members of the Society are invited to actively participate in the Forum, and to share their experience, knowledge, ideas and wisdom.

As a Guest you are able to read posts, but to contribute you need to register. This is a simple matter of clicking on the 'Register' link, and following your nose. Help is always available if you need it. Please note that this is a forum for the sharing of opinions, ideas and knowledge, and we would ask that you respect everyone's opinions, ideas, and knowledge.

If you disagree with something said, by all means air that disagreement respectfully. If you feel the need to become insulting or abusive, you will quickly feel the need to find another forum. I can do that.

Welcome again - and enjoy.

You are not logged in.

#1 12-03-2016 19:27:12

SFBUM
Putter
Website

Swingweights

Picked up some clubs last week, and there were two Australian "Defiance" woods involved.

One had a swingweight of F1 and was reasonably intact. The other had a swingweight of G1, and has some minor cracks through front and back of hosel.

I can lift them, but I'd hate to swing them.

Gone golfing - be back at dark thirty.

#2 13-03-2016 17:59:06

Pipdog
Putter

Re: Swingweights

Well maybe you need to build up some muscle................

Have a few clubs, mostly junk, but all playable.

#3 22-03-2016 22:53:17

Ross Baker Golf
Putter

Hi Guys, re "Heavy Swingweights" it is quite unusual for "Hickory Shafted woods to be "Swingweighting" Heavy! Most "Off the Shelf" or Common Hickory woods, are lucky to Swingweight more than about C5.. And there in lies one of the main problems associated with playing hickory golf.  I have generally found that a Hickory Club that Swingweights Heavy, (especially to the weights you talk about) has been purposefully "Loaded With Lead" to use as a "Practice Club" don't know if that fits the bill? Regards Ross

#4 10-05-2016 13:55:12

Pipdog
Putter

I have been making up another set of play irons, and thought I’d fiddle with Swingweights.  I used the SW estimator at leaderboard.com.  The “balance” was measured from the butt of the shaft.  (Also note that I lengthen all my clubs to std length + 25mm).  Here are the figures:

CLUB      BALANCE (mm)      MASS (gm)    SW
Cleek    710                      450                    D4
Mid            715                      472              E2
Mash            705                      449                    D2
Mas/Nib    710                      455                    D5
Nib            683                      504                    D8

Sine the Mid Iron was heaviest, and I like the heavy feel, I thought I could add weight to the others to get a similar SW.  So, as a trial, I added 15g to the lowest part of the rear face of the Mashie and got:

Mash            715                      464                    E0

which is close enough to the Mid Iron, and agrees with “2 grams of head weight = 1 Swingweight point”.

I have added weights before, and no trouble.  BUT, I would welcome any comments about the effects of weighting (if any) on shaft flex, torque, playability, additional stress = breakage, (imaginery problems with golfers brain), etc.

(Incidently, as I was weighing clubs on the kitchen scales, wife says “You’re not going to cook them are you ?”)

Cheers

#5 11-05-2016 14:53:18

Pipdog
Putter

Further to the above, I used the clubs today without any added weights, and the only club that felt a little bit light was the Mashie (D2).  I couldn't really tell the difference with the rest, and they all seemed to hit about the same as any other wooden animal.  The Cleek hit a bit low (only 18 degree loft), but that could be because of the bend in the shaft that closes the face a bit more at address.
I think I will just leave these poor old dears alone, with bends, mismatches, etc., and get them out for an airing occasionally.

#6 14-05-2016 01:06:25

SFBUM
Putter
Website

I've read something somewhere about adding weight to iron heads. The idea that the piece was trying to get across was that you should be careful as it puts extra load on the bottom half of the shaft - where the diameter is at it's thinnest strangely enough - and heads tend to fly.

For the life of me I can't remember where it was, or find it locally.

Though I do have a swingweight calculator in a spreadsheet of you'd like a copy . . .

#7 14-05-2016 19:01:52

Pipdog
Putter

Yep SFBUM.  I would be interested in the spreadsheet.  I notice the estimator at leaderboard.com indicates the calculation is an approximation - I wonder just how approximate?

I have previously added 10g to a couple of my regular playing iron heads, with no trouble so far.  However, the particular shafts are very thick in the bottom half.   I can imagine a relatively thin, older shaft having a bit of a panic.  I was trying to straighten a "normal" looking shaft recently, and it gave way.  When I looked at the raw edge, it looked like it had holes in the timber - something akin to miniature white ant trails.  This is similar to another shaft I broke in a Baffy a while back.  I suppose this is what a tired, dried out piece of hickory looks like on the inside.  Adding any weight to these poor old brittle things would no doubt be a disaster, so I suppose if the shaft feels nice and springy (like we used to be many years ago) it would be safe to add some weight to the head.

#8 14-05-2016 20:43:29

Ross Baker Golf
Putter

Hi Guys, I cannot overemphasise how important matching Swing weights of clubs is.  And, that your playing clubs should be "As Close to the Same Swing weight" as possible. In answer to your question re "Added Stress" to the Shaft. Yes more head weight will Exert More Load on a shaft! And so, Don't Go Overboard with weight..  I have found that swingweights in the region of D2 to D6 are Optimal for most men. As I have mentioned in the past, you will find the majority of hickory clubs are far too light, and so "Poor Results" will arise.  Swingweight can be increased by lengthening the shaft of your clubs. Generally shafts are too short anyway, so that is a win win. With regard to noticing "Trails like White Ants" When you broke a shaft. That will more than likely by from "Wood Boorer" "Cabinet Boorer" You need to get that "Suspect Shaft" away from your Dear Clubs Quickly and treat it with a suitable insecticide or liberal amounts of Turpentine, especially if dust is continuing to issue from holes, the Boorer will still be active! Only to happy to answer any other queries.. You can email me on rossgolfaus@gmail.com.. Ross Baker

#9 15-05-2016 20:57:03

SFBUM
Putter
Website

Ross,

Thanks for your learned advice, and thanks for adding credibility to our "Forum".

My own personal swingweight discovery involves putters. I went through quite a few different putters - blades, Gems, a Southern Cross Orion clone, Standard aluminium blocks - until I found a putter that I was consistent with. The trick? It was the same swingweight as my Saturday putter.

Board footer