Australian Golf Heritage Society Forum

Welcome to the second incarnation of the Australian Golf Heritage Society forum. All members of the Society are invited to actively participate in the Forum, and to share their experience, knowledge, ideas and wisdom.

As a Guest you are able to read posts, but to contribute you need to register. This is a simple matter of clicking on the 'Register' link, and following your nose. Help is always available if you need it. Please note that this is a forum for the sharing of opinions, ideas and knowledge, and we would ask that you respect everyone's opinions, ideas, and knowledge.

If you disagree with something said, by all means air that disagreement respectfully. If you feel the need to become insulting or abusive, you will quickly feel the need to find another forum. I can do that.

Welcome again - and enjoy.

You are not logged in.

#1 29-01-2016 18:27:00

Auchterlonie
Putter

CLUB STORAGE/PRESERVATION

Reading with much interest an article (Autumn 2015 SoHG Wee Nip) under Equipment Care and maintenance about storing clubs for the winter season (nothing we really need to concern ourselves over here with though). Fascinating how much opinion varies for such a simple thing as storing clubs, and this from some of hickory golfs most recognisable names in terms of both playing, building and restoring clubs.

There seems to be no real agreement on the use of oil on shafts and whether clubs should be laid flat or stood up. The overall consensus appears to be that whatever method is used the shafts need to be sealed to prevent large variations in moisture content, steel heads treated to prevent rust from developing and the storage area of choice one where humidity can be controlled as much as possible. Rooms that get hot such as attics and furnace rooms should be avoided (I'm guessing that includes my garage in Brisbane where the temp in summer can crack 50 degrees with a hot car parked inside and the door shut!). Oh well 2 out of 3 aint bad, and not much chance of moving my clubs inside the house at this stage.

I use 3-4 coats of shellac on my shafts (kind of pseudo-french polishing technique) and use "Lanox" on steel heads (recommended to me by Norm Richardson) that will be sitting for a while. I'm happy for my play clubs to go rusty over time. My woods are all finished with 3 coats of interior satin polyurethane which I will redo when they start looking a bit worse for wear, (2000 wet and dry between coats).

What is everybody else doing with their clubs?

#2 29-01-2016 20:54:46

SFBUM
Putter
Website

Re: CLUB STORAGE/PRESERVATION

Strange you should bring this up today - I was thinking last night and today about how 'untidy' my storage arrangements currently are, and thinking about alternatives. Haven't arrived at anything definite, but it's on the radar. So to speak.

All my clubs are against the back wall in my garage, which is neither the warmest nor the coolest room in the house. The wall is internal, so there are no wild variations in temperature according to the time of the day. It's also very well ventilated, so my guess would be slightly below ambient temperature in summer, and slightly above same in winter. I prefer my clubs to be stored horizontally. I'll confess to being an oiler, but not excessively - once or twice a year is plenty.

I'm interested in the statement that "shafts need to be sealed to prevent large variations in moisture content". I shellac the shafts of my play clubs - like you, three coats is usual - and oil once or twice a year. The iron heads I experiment with a bit. So far, I've either left them alone apart from a quick rub with steel wool; used spray fish oil; or a film of cabinet makers wax. All seem to be reasonable rust preventatives, but the fish oil can build up with repeated applications to cater for uneven wear.

Wooden heads I treat with a mixture I make up of raw linseed oil (boiled) and gum turpentine (which I think we may have discussed before). The mantra is once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year, and once a year for the rest of your life. I like it because it is more or less plant based, the same as the wood heads. Polyurethane just doesn't seem right to me (no offence meant).

The only difference with my display/collectible clubs is that I use the linseed/turpentine mix on the shafts.

Gone golfing - be back at dark thirty.

#3 29-01-2016 22:16:36

Auchterlonie
Putter

They all talk about and emphasize the importance of sealing the shaft, whether it be oil, shellac, polyurethane, etc as a way of controlling moisture from both entering and leaving the timber. Remembering they are talking about cold damp winter storage not just harsh summer extremes. I guess there is logic behind it much the same as you treat raw timber in most situations. Don't know if these methods are a moisture "barrier" so to speak or more of a way of retarding the moisture transfer. Randy Jensen mentions keeping your shaft's moisture content at around 10%! Not sure exactly how he knows the moisture content of his clubs but he did go on to say there are gauges on the market for measuring the moisture content.

#4 30-01-2016 13:14:28

Pipdog
Putter

Mine are stored upright in a rack against the garage wall - shafts polyurethane, and heads clear enamel.  We live 20 metres from salt water, so plenty of moisture, and easy corrosion.  I have noticed that most of the clubs I have amassed have a bend in the shaft where the tack in the bottom of the grip has created a small split in the shaft.  I assume the moisture has "snuck" in through this crack over time, and the other crack at the top of the grip.  For this and other reasons, I no longer use tacks in the grip, and make sure I completely fill the old cracks with polyurethane as used on the rest of the shaft.

Have a few clubs, mostly junk, but all playable.

#5 31-01-2016 19:35:01

admin
Administrator

Good thinking Rob!

The process would be generally 'seal' shaft, then install grip with tack which immediately 'unseals' the shaft. I would expect the shaft to bend away from the tack hole - is that what you've found?

#6 01-02-2016 07:10:01

Pipdog
Putter

Haven't noticed which way the shaft bends, but I think the shaft shortens on the side with the tack hole - I haven't got any un-refurbished clubs to check.  (Maybe the shaft says "ouch" when the tack goes in, and bends in pain like a human with a stomach pain?)

Have a few clubs, mostly junk, but all playable.

Board footer